Pages - Menu

Thursday, May 23, 2013

UBC DAP vs. BCIT Dip. Tech (Acct) vs. UofT MMPA

Before I decided on the UBC DAP, I also made sure to consider the other available options - well, two other ones.  I know that Douglas College and Langara also had some similar programs but these were the ones I looked at:
  • BCIT's Accounting Diploma
  • University of Toronto's Master of Management and Professional Accounting Program. 
I did have a few things I took into mind when deciding on a program, namely that it:

1)  Provided the prerequisites needed for CGA/CMA/CA
[CGA actually has this nifty chart where they list almost every single accounting program in BC along with what CGA prereqs they fulfill.  If you're trying to decide on a place beside UBC/BCIT, it's worth checking it out.]

EDIT: With the new CPA program rolling out in BC, there have been a few changes in what DAP courses are needed.  However, you can find the chart here.

2a)  Could be finished as quickly as possible (preferably within 1.5 years since that was the time frame I was working with)
2b) Had the least number of required courses

3) Cost the least amount to complete

Other (slightly less important) considerations were that it:

5) Had recruiting by the major CA firms

6) Didn't have overly onerous entrance requirements.

But hey wait a minute, you say.  Wouldn't having onerous requirements mean that they're accepting quality students instead of every Tom, Dick and Harry?  I know people hate this answer but it really does depend on what you mean by that.

Let me put it this way: I haven't seen any evidence for or against stating that the UofT MMPA has a higher employment rate by the Big 4 (or similar firms) when compared to say, the UBC DAP despite their arguably more rigorous entrance requirements.  What I do know is that a large number of DAP students have managed to secure a job in some of the firms in question.  What that says about things is up to you to decide.     

Though if you think about it, all three programs I have listed here are designed to prepare you for the same thing: a career in accounting.  Besides, I took my MCAT literally 2 weeks before I started the UBC DAP in September so I needed a program that didn't need a whole bunch of extra stuff like the GMAT.

[And because I know someone's gonna make a comment about this: I took the UBC DAP, so all info about other programs are simply stuff I found from their websites and from former students on forums.]
 
UBC Diploma in Accounting (DAP)
Completion time (minimum): 10 months F/T
Cost: ~$10,000
Entrance requirements: 4 year undergrad degree
Required courses: 11

BCIT Diploma in Technology (Accounting)
Completion time:  2 years
Cost: ~$10,000
Entrance requirements: High school graduation with English 12 and Math 11.
Required courses: 32

If I remember correctly, another reason I wasn't too keen on BCIT was that I'd have to complete their B.Tech in Accounting as well to fulfill the same requirements needed by CGA/CA/CMA that the UBC DAP would be able to fulfill alone.  Probably more suited towards high school graduates that want to progress into accounting but for whatever reason, choose not to pursue a BCom/BBA.

University of Toronto - Master of Management and Professional Accounting
Completion time: 27 months (if you don't have academic exemptions)
Cost: ~$60,000.
Entrance requirements: GMAT, 4 year undergrad degree, interview, reference letters, personal essays
Required courses: 33 (and 2 co-op work terms)       

I like to think of the MMPA as a kind of mash between UBC's DAP and ECM (Early Career Masters) programs.  Also, rumor had it that 1-2 of the Big 4 were no longer recruiting here.  One selling point is that it's labelled as a Master's degree, which some people think looks better on their CV.   

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mabi,

    I was just curious DAP allows you to finish ALL prerequisites for the CPA designation? Is DAP is more technically strong than MMPA?

    In September, are students aiming to be recruited full-time for the year after you complete the program? After this, must you then complete a certain amount of hours before you write the final CPA exam and become a fully certified accountant?

    Laslty, I was just wondering about the prospects of coming back to Toronto after finishing the degree in BC. Would that be likely?

    Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete